Re: compile error

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: compile error
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:54:00 -0800

At 04:11 PM 1/18/00 -0800, you wrote:
The application now runs a-ok. For any interested, the .zip file is at http://www.joware.com/Swarm/samples/workingStiff/workingStiff.ZIP and a description of the application at http://www.joware.com/Swarm/PIAF/index.htm.

I'd love to know if anyone finds this remotely interesting and whether posting this kind of work on the web useful.

WEll, I certainly am.  So, when we were writing business plans
for SwarmCorp, we dove in head-first into things like PERT and
GANTT charts, writing spreadsheet models for the finances, etc.
I can't help but think that there's a better way to estimate
the performance of a company.  We didn't attempt to use our
ABM expertise on the problem, primarily because we were trying
to tell a story to potential investors who would only be
satisfied by traditional estimation techniques.  Had we had
enough money to do our own kind of research, we would have done
exactly what you're doing and built work-plan simulations.

In fact, if you'll put this model into CVS somewhere and give
me write access, I'll help you develop it.  There's a public
cvs repository at a web site called www.sourceforge.net where
anyone can put their publicly licensed code under cvs.  But,
I also imagine we could talk Marcus into adding it to our
repository.  First thing to do is slap a copyright on it and
GPL (or devise your own license for) it.

Anyway, I'm very interested in seeing something like this move
close to being able to model a real company.

glen

--
glen e. p. ropella =><= Feeding the hamster wheel.  Hail Eris!
Home: http://www.swarm.com/gepr                (505) 424-0448