Re: Robustness Check and "A growing body of ad-hoc analysis solutions"

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Robustness Check and "A growing body of ad-hoc analysis solutions"
Date: 14 Jul 1999 11:38:18 -0700

GR> Having the Archiver separate from the
GR> serialization tools distinguishes an ambiguity resident in
GR> ObjectLoader.

Ok, now I see your point:

  - Object{Loader,Saver} is for loading and saving objects.
  - Object serialization is for reading and writing objects.
  - The Archiver is for managing a namespace of objects.

Thus, since objects have names in them (ivar names), serialization
can be used to name things as well, if you make wrapper objects.
Note you can't do this with Object{Loader,Saver}, since there isn't
support for deep serialization (objects-in-objects), and this
approach has the additional disadvantage that you don't
get random access to recovery of specific objects; they all must
be loaded at once (or you proliferate wrapper objects).

Anyway, the specific fact I wanted to clarify with my previous message
was that serialization does not require an objects ivars to be
completely specified.