Re: Immune systems resources

From: Nick Gotts
Subject: Re: Immune systems resources
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 11:55:22 +0000

Michael Roth wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of any resources dealing with
> applications of the immune system.  I've come accross plenty of
> modelling and theorectical resources (such as Perelson), however I can't
> seem to find many references to applications of the immune system to other
> problems (such as the travelling salesman ?).  If anyone knows of any work
> in this area, please let me know.
>
> Thank you.

I have a few papers by people who are or used to be at the University of Wales
Aberystwyth
Dept. of Computer Science. These are preprints, so I don't have complete
details. I believe there
was also some work on detecting fraud of some sort by some of the same people
and Clive King, also formerly at Aberystwyth.

John E. Hunt, Denise E. Cooke and Horst Holstein (1995)
Case Memory and Retrieval Based on the Immune System
Proc. 1st International Conf. on Case-Based Reasoning.

Denise E. Cooke and John E. Hunt (1995)
Recognising Promoter Sequences Using an Artificial Immune System
Proc. Third Int. Conf on Intelligent Systems in Molecular Biology, AAAI Press.

John E. Hunt and Denise E. Cooke (1996)
Learning Using An Artificial Immune System
Int. J. of Network and Computer Applications,
special issue on Intelligent Systems'96

John E. Hunt, Denise E. Cooke (n.d)
An adaptive, distributed learning system based on the immune system.

Hunt and Cooke are no longer at Aberystwyth, but Holstein is, so far as I
know.
Best approach for more information might be via http://www.aber.ac.uk, or
email to Holstein:
address@hidden

There are some further references in these papers, e.g.

H. Bersini and F. Varela (1994)
The immune learning mechanisms: reinforcement, recruitment and their
application
In R. Paton (ed) Computing with Biological Metaphors (Chapman & Hall)

C.J. Gilbert and T.W. Routen (1994)
Associative memory in an immune-based system
Proceedings  AAAI-94 (AAAI Press), 852-7.

Nick

--
Nick Gotts     address@hidden
Macaulay Land Use Research Institute