how would we define "kin"?

From: Jae Chan Oh
Subject: how would we define "kin"?
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 16:04:56 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I hope this message is relevant for this mailing list. I couldn't
find more active/responsive mailing list that is being participated by as many
ALife people than this one. If my message is not relevant, I apologize
and please direct me to a more proper mailing list.

Now this:
I would like to instill some discussions on how we define "kin/kinship" in
Alife domain.
I'm not a biologist so I am open to any discussions/suggestions since
I don't have any strong predisposition about the meaning of kin.

I am, however, inclined not to limit the meaning of "kin"/"kinship" to mere
genetic/biological resemblance -- especially in Alife domain.

For instance, what behaviors would make us be able to say that one of or
any of our SWARM applications exhibits kinship behavior?

Let's just start from here.

-----

                Jae C. Oh
                315 Alumni Hall