Re: formal models

From: Vladimir Jojic
Subject: Re: formal models
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 01:45:18 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 19 May 1997 address@hidden wrote:

> can you describe the qualities you are looking for in your model?

Could you define qualities? I am trying to define whole system
(environment, agents and their behavior) in an affine space. I would
like to try to keep it in one space (very likely, high dimensional),
without having to split it up.

> one of the difficulties will be that the agents themselves contain state
> information,
> and either that gets represented in the n-space
> (which means that all the agents have identical sets of parameters),
> or else the n-space is only to represent locations,
> and something else represents the states of the agents in the space

I will try to define a space with just one kind of agents for the start,
and as I mentioned, keeping it all in one space. If necessary, I can
always operate on the subspaces, representing one agent or a group of
agents, rather than actually separating them from the world.

> it seems to me that the kind of space you want is a variable-dimension space,
> with parts in some dimensionalities and parts in others
> (representing the fact that the important criteria for agent behavior is not
> homogeneous across the entire space) -
> this also allows locally affine spaces to be used,
> and if care is taken with the transitions,
> the entire model can be made appropriately formal,
> while still having a structure that reflects the way it would be implemented
> in swarm

I am afraid that I do not have the theoretical background for the
discussion about variable-dimension spaces (references?) ... But it
seems that those could solve problem of representation of the different
kinds of agents in the same space ...

> keep working on the qualitites you want

I will ...

> more later,