Re: ||ism

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: ||ism
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 17:57:11 -0700

At 05:05 PM 5/8/97 -0700, manor wrote:

>Could that interface be used to make an arbitrary object thread-safe?
>(a-la Java where there is a lock per object that the programmer doesn't
>have to code etc. and which provides mutual exclusion with the ability
>to make recursive calls).

I'm not exactly sure how this Java implementation works, can you give me
more detail?  The interface doesn't do anything other than provide a
platform-independent function level interface to mutexes and threads, so I
doubt its doing what you want.  Is this thread-safety something that
completely surrounds the object's methods; meaning if one thread calls a
method on the object, that object is locked and no other thread can call any
method on that object?  I can see how that might be used as a large-grain
mechanism; it's expensive though because it requires maintaining a recursive
mutex for every instance in the system, plus checking operations with each
method call.

Scott