summer-of-code

Re: [IMPORTANT] Ideas for Summer of Code 2018

From: Dashamir Hoxha
Subject: Re: [IMPORTANT] Ideas for Summer of Code 2018
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 16:08:45 +0100

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Giuseppe Scrivano <address@hidden> wrote:
Dashamir Hoxha <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 3:58 AM, Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>  AFAIK in order to be a GSoC project under the GNU umbrella it must be
>  accepted as a GNU package first.
>
> I have no problem with that, if it fulfills the criteria.
> What should be done?

you can find more information here:

https://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html

For context, here we are talking about EasyGnuPG: https://github.com/dashohoxha/egpg

I have tested it only on Ubuntu. It may work well on other distros as well,
but I have not tested it. Or maybe it can be fixed to be distro agnostic,
but this has not been done yet.
So, maybe this can be a problem for being a GNU package.

Also it is just a bash wrapper of GPG itself, so some people may claim
that there is overlapping with existing packages. A better thing would be
if EasyGPG was somehow a subproject of GPG, but they won't accept it.

There are other problems as well, like using Guile for coding, using Texinfo
for documentation, etc. and fixing all of these could be the the goal of a GSoC
project on itself.

So, maybe EasyGnuPG is not suitable for being a GNU package.
Meanwhile I am seeking GSoC support for it from Debian.

Regards,
Dashamir