summer-of-code

Re: Mentoring students for Ring through GNU

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: Mentoring students for Ring through GNU
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 22:08:22 +0100

Hello,

Dorina Mosku <address@hidden> writes:

> To whom it may concern,
>
> I'm writing on behalf of the Ring project [1], an official GNU package since
> October 2016 [2].
>
> We applied to be a mentor organization in the GSoC 2017, but Ring's
> application was rejected. Thus, we are exploring the possibility of
> mentoring GSoC students this summer through other organizations, as we
> did last year with Debian. We mentored 4 students through the Debian
> organization in the GSoC 2016 and it worked very well for everyone.

Even if this is a common pratice for some GNU packages to apply as an
organization on their own, IMHO it would work better if all packages
could discuss the possibility of gathering forces specially before being
rejected.

> We saw that GNU is hosting many other packages for this edition of
> GSoC [3] and we think that it can be very interesting for Ring to be
> part of this list. Not only it would make it possible for us to have
> more contributions on Ring's code [4] this summer, but it could
> potentially help to grow Ring's contributors community.
>
> So, would it be possible for us to mentor a certain number of students
> through the GNU organization?

That would be nice.  However it would be preferable if the GSoC mentored
by SavoirFaireLinux for GNU Ring related projects were done
*exclusively* through the GNU organization.

If that's OK for you, I think GNU Ring's can propose it's project ideas
list and the name of potential mentors that Giuseppe Scrivano requested
here:

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/summer-of-code/2017-01/msg00000.html
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/summer-of-code/2017-02/msg00026.html

Thanks.

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37