summer-of-code

Re: slots request

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: slots request
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 15:33:41 +0200

Hi Jose,

address@hidden (Jose E. Marchesi) writes:

> Generally speaking I am in favor of restricting one amazing app per GNU
> program, and to reserve one amazing app for the small programs.

Well, I disagree :)

Not because I want to favor Org proposals (no no), but because I think
the list of amazing proposals should only be made on critierium related
to the proposals themselves (the importance/quality of the project wrt
GNU project and the quality of the student.)

Otherwise this gives the strong (and wrong) signal to students: "pick up
a GNU project that has no proposal at all and you will have more chance
to get paid for coding during the summer."

> The GNU umbrella is for all the GNU programs, and I think that the
> slots must be evenly distributed among them.

I disagree.  This is not about distributing slots equally, this is
about being fair, and not favoring a proposal that is of less value
than another proposal.

Anyway, let's discuss this IRC.

Best,

--