summer-of-code

Re: Savane and GSOC

From: Michael J. Flickinger
Subject: Re: Savane and GSOC
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 19:48:54 -0400

On 4/1/12 3:58 PM, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:
> Michael, what do you think about this?  You are the Savannah maintainer
> so IMO you must have the last word about whether we must include this
> project under the GNU SoC umbrella.

The first thing on my list was to give Savannah a facelift. Basically, I'd like to make it look like gnu.org, so it doesn't look so out of date. This facelift can be performed with the current PHP codebase.

Regarding the "new Savane", I was planning on a modular rewrite, which would aim to make Savane more "Web 2.0", more akin to something like GitHub, but free and "awesome." I haven't done much yet, but the idea is to rewrite piece by piece, so the code migration can take place in tiny bits and happen before the completion of the full project. Since I do Perl web development for my day job, I was going to write the new system in Perl.

I'm all for help with SoC, but it would have been nice to have been notified first.

On 4/1/12 3:09 PM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
> GNU is very loosely coupled. I figured if nobody was maintaining it,
> then I would. I know Python and Django, and I can mentor a Python
> project. I don't like Savannah, I use Savannah daily, and I want
> something better.

Multiple public mailing lists exist for both Savannah and Savane.