summer-of-code

Re: Some Questions

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Some Questions
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 17:23:55 +0100

Hi Michael,

On Thu 25 Mar 2010 06:53, Michael Lucy <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm interested in applying to work on Guile, and I was hoping to talk
> to somebody about the project ideas.  I noticed that
> http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas-2010.html said there
> were already mentors picked out for the various projects; should I be
> talking to them directly or writing to the Guile mailing lists?

I am a Guile co-maintainer, and mentored Daniel Kraft's work on the
elisp compiler last year. I prefer to talk over the mailing list, as it
saves me bandwidth :)

> My school has unusually late finals (June 7-11) which happen to fall
> in the actual coding period--would it be a significant problem if I
> did minimal work for a week around then and made it up either by
> starting during community bonding period or continuing after the
> project has officially finished?

No, I would have no problem with that.

> For the "Qualification" portion of the application, are you looking
> for a summary of relevant technical knowledge or a resume-ish thing?
> Do you want a resume-ish thing anywhere in the application?  (I'm
> going off of the list of information under "Your proposal" from
> http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/guidelines.html ).

I would want code :) If I were to act as your mentor (possible, though
there are others), I would want to know that I didn't have to do too
much supervision -- so I would like to see some patches or something.
Basically I would want evidence of capabilities, a vision of what you
want to do, and some simple "just showing up" (half the battle, honestly
:).

Apologies if this is all obvious. In any case, stop by guile-devel, or
if you can #guile on freenode, during the european day and evening
hours.

Happy hacking!

Andy
--