summer-of-code

Re: The GNU Project has been accepted to GSoC for 2010

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: Re: The GNU Project has been accepted to GSoC for 2010
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:18:54 -0700

Nils Gey wrote:
> How many Slots does GNU get for Mentors/Students? And I mean the real slots
> for the Orga which is listed as "The GNU Project" on google and not GCC or
> Gimp.

That doesn't get decided until sometime later. We haven't even put out a
request for a number of slots yet, since we don't yet have a solid idea
of how many we'll need.

We'll have that idea as time progresses, and we've been working with
students on their proposals. From that we'll have an idea of how many
total students have proposals that are a good fit for us, and that
information, coupled with the knowledge of how many mentors are
available to help these students, will feed the number of slots we'll
request from GSoC. We will almost certainly get a significantly lower
number than what we request.

But to get an idea of past history, in 2008 we received 10 slots, and in
2009 we received 8. There was a drop in available slots between 2008 and
2009, IIRC, whereas it'll probably be about the same this year, so 8
seems like a reasonable guess.

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/