summer-of-code

Re: still eight slots

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: Re: still eight slots
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 18:48:43 -0700

Karl Berry wrote:
> Google published a second round of slot counts.  GNU remained at 8.
> I've sent in our case pleading for more, but the most we can hope for is
> a couple.
>
> Since we already have 12 different packages with strong proposals, we
> can take it for granted that no package will get more than one.  So,
> those of you with multiple proposals in the top 12, please decrease the
> scores of all but the top one.
>
> Here are the 12 packages (with their wishlist counts):
>
> 1 autogen
> 1 classpath
> 1 clisp
> 2 dotgnu
> 2 gnowsys
> 2 gnunet
> 3 grub2
> 1 icecat
> 2 phpgroupware
> 1 smalltalk
> 1 unrtf
> 3 wget
>
> If anyone wants to voluntarily retire from the scramble for the
> available slots, you will have my eternal gratitude :).  I am really not
> sure how to reduce these 12 to 8.  With luck we won't have to go that
> far down ... sigh.

I've had my 3 handy, just in case the slots went up. I've been planning
all along to immediately down-score the other two once the final slots
were allocated; but for some reason I'd thought we had about 7 packages
vying for 8 slots, rather than 12 for 8; I'll go ahead and down-score
the other two now.

We should probably plan ahead how we'll deal with fewer
slots-than-projects, in the case that folks are reluctant to back out (I
know I am! :) ). Number of mentors to the projects seems like one way...
I suspect most projects, though, and certainly Wget, just have one
mentor, so it probably won't be enough by itself.

Though I've complained about other mentors posting eval scores on my
projects, once we've actually narrowed down the one proposal for each
project, having everyone score each others' projects might not be a bad
way of resolving it.

- --
Micah J. Cowan
Programmer, musician, typesetting enthusiast, gamer,
and GNU Wget Project Maintainer.
http://micah.cowan.name/