summer-of-code

Project proposal for Google Summer of Codes

From: Mukesh Palathingal
Subject: Project proposal for Google Summer of Codes
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:33:16 +0530

Hi,
        I am Mukesh P C, a student of Information Technology at M.E.S College
of Engineering, Kerala, India. I am interested in working with the GNU
Project for the Google Summer of Codes. I would like to make a project
proposal that is out of your idea list.

PROPOSAL
The project is about INTEGRATING THE LINUX VFS LAYER IN REACTOS. The
ReactOS being a free and open source operating system based on the
Windows NT architecture is now supporting only the FAT32 filesystem.
The integration of the VFS layer is focused of increasing the exposure
and reliability of the ReactOS. The project involves the extracting
the Linux VFS layer and porting this functionality into the ReactOS
Kernel.

SCOPE OF PROJECT
The ReactOS being an alpha stage operating system is aimed at
providing the users who likes a Windows like environment but an open
source kernel to work on.
The ReactOS is restricted to the FAT32 filesystem and has its inherent
disadvantages. The VFS layer would permit the usage of any filesystems
with ReactOS and also overcome the problems of the FAT32 filesytems.

This proposal was undertaken by us as part of our academic major
project. The other member of the team is M.A Ameer Ali, who is also an
Information Technology student at the same college. We are working
over this under our internal guides
1.      Prof C K Raju, Asst Professor, M.E.S College of Engineering
2.      Mr Raghesh A, Lecturer, M.E.S College of Engineering

I hope you would give us a chance to work together with the GNU
Project and help us implement our proposal. We are waiting for a
positive response from you.

Yours Truly,
Mukesh P C