summer-of-code

Re: GNU IceCat & SoC

From: Giuseppe Scrivano
Subject: Re: GNU IceCat & SoC
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 16:02:42 +0100

The problem is that we don't have clear ideas about the first
suggestion too :)

This is why the first part of this job is about investigate new cases
that can be a problem for the privacy of users.

At the moment two possible scenarios are covered by our privacy
features, as described on the project homepage:

  1. Some sites refer to zero-size images on other hosts to keep track
  of cookies. When IceCat detects this mechanism it blocks cookies
  from the site hosting the zero-length image file. (It is possible to
  re-enable such a site by removing it from the blocked hosts list.)

  2. Other sites rewrite the host name in links redirecting the user
  to another site, mainly to "spy" on clicks. When this behavior is
  detected, IceCat shows a message alerting the user.

At the end of the task I think the student will have to detect and
implement at least other two or three possible cases.
Especially in the first part, the student will have to communicate
with the mentor to discuss new possible situations and only later,
when they are well defined, continue to implement them.

I know this task has a vague description, but unfortunately we can't
give more details as we don't know them too; if it is too vague for a
possible Summer of Code task then we should drop it.

Regards,
Giuseppe