[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Sat, 11 Dec 2021 23:23:02 +0100
At last, here is the 0.11.0 release!
Speech Dispatcher 0.11.0
Announcing the availability of Speech Dispatcher 0.11.0 developed as a part of
the Free(b)Soft project.
* What is new in 0.11.0?
- Support playing audio through the server.
- Simplify modules thanks to this.
- modules: Add support for loading from user's .local/libexec/speech-dispatcher.
- symbols: Process symbols.dic before emojis.dic.
- symbols: Enable speechd symbols processing by default.
- modules: Moved speech dispatcher modules to
(but keep compatibility with old /usr/lib/speech-dispatcher-modules path).
- espeak-ng: Add support for mbrola voices.
- ibmtts/voxin: Improve language selection.
- ibmtts/voxin: Add option to disable punctuation commands.
- ibmtts: Fix library load.
- ibmtts: Do not build by default on other systems than 32bit PC.
- mary: Add auto-detection.
- mary: Add newer voices.
- mary: Add volume, pitch, and rate support.
- ivona: Add auto-detection.
- festival: Strip head silence.
- generic: Add DefaultVoice option.
- es_ES: Add some gender neutral rules.
- Add SPEECHD_CMD environment variable.
- modules: Rewrite main functions with BSD licence, to let proprietary modules
easily reuse this as a basis.
- modules: Add skeletons ready for use as a basis for new modules.
- Add script to run speechd from the build tree.
- Update CLDR to version 39, symbols from NVDA and orca.
- Add Esperanto translation.
- Sort modules by quality, let the best quality module be the default.
* Where to get it?
You can get the distribution tarball of the released version from
Debian packages will also be available in debian unstable soon.
We recommend the use of sound icons with Speech Dispatcher.
They are available at
Corresponding distribution packages should soon be available at
your distribution mirrors.
The home page of the project is https://github.com/brailcom/speechd
* What is Speech Dispatcher?
Speech Dispatcher is a device independent layer for speech
synthesis, developed with the goal of making the usage of speech
synthesis easier for application programmers. It takes care of most
of the tasks necessary to solve in speech enabled applications. What
is a very high level GUI library to graphics, Speech Dispatcher is
to speech synthesis.
Key Speech Dispatcher features are:
- Message priority model that allows multiple simultaneous
connections to Speech Dispatcher from one or more clients
and tries to provide the user with the most important messages.
- Different output modules that talk to different synthesizers so
that the programmer doesn't need to care which particular
synthesizer is being used. Currently Festival, Flite, Epos, Espeak
and (non-free) Dectalk software, IBM TTS, Pico and others are
supported. Festival is an advanced Free Software synthesizer
supporting various languages. Espeak is a very fast multi-lingual
Free Software synthesizer.
- Simple interface for programs written in C, C++ provided through a
shared library. Python, Common Lisp and Guile interfaces. An Elisp
and Java libraries are developed as sperate projects speechd-el
and speechd-java. Possibly an interface to any other language can
* How to report bugs?
Please report bugs at https://github.com/brailcom/speechd/issues .
For other contact please use either the above link or our mailing list
- 0.11.0 release!,
Samuel Thibault <=