Index marking support in speechd-el

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Index marking support in speechd-el
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 19:17:39 +0200

Hi,

better late than never :-).  I pushed an initial support for index
marking, permitting moving the cursor as a buffer is read, to speechd-el
git repo.  Unless you enable it, it shouldn’t cause any problems.  But
one never knows and I made also some cleanups, so if you want to be
safe, stick with speechd-el 2.10, released today.

How to use it: If you set speechd-speak-use-index-marks user option to t
then speechd-speak-read-buffer and speechd-speak-read-rest-of-buffer
commands should move the cursor each time some punctuation is hit during
reading.  speechd-speak-index-mark-regexp can be customized to put index
marks in different places.

It’s experimental for now, not much tested, starting reading large
buffers can be slow and I’m sure there are bugs.  For instance, it seems
index marks are not reported from Speech Dispatcher (at least with
espeak-ng) when speechd-el and Speech Dispatcher put their index marks
at the same place.  That means the cursor doesn’t jump to most ends of
sentences.  But the basic functionality should be working, if you feel
bored or brave, you can try it.

Regards,
Milan