Re: [orca-list] making Linux a hospitable place for TTS engines like Vox

From: Kyle
Subject: Re: [orca-list] making Linux a hospitable place for TTS engines like Voxin
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 14:48:15 -0500

Looks like the configuration for RHVoice is now in /etc/rhvoice/rhvoice.conf, at least on an Arch system using the rhvoice-git package from the AUR. I downloaded the sample file suggested in the stub I found there from

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RHVoice/RHVoice/master/doc/en/RHVoice.conf

and changed the max_rate setting to 2.5. Yes, it sounds quite good here. I can't do 6. That's just way too fast to understand, but I did get it to go as high as 3.0 without it becoming completely unintelligible. Changing the quality setting to min did make it sound very bad though, so I personally would recommend keeping it set to standard, unless you have the hardware for max. That said, min may work better if you have hearing loss and can't hear higher frequencies, or if clear speech with the high frequencies in tact causes discomfort, which can happen on some hardware.

The max_rate thing looks like what I had to do with espeak as well, although once espeak got too fast, it became irregular, vowels became short and clipped, whereas consonants became long and drawn out. RHVoice seems to stay pretty clean so far, at least with max_rate set as high as 3.0. Your mileage may vary above that.

~Kyle