Fail to setup default language of speech-dispatcher 0.9.1

From: Cameron Wong
Subject: Fail to setup default language of speech-dispatcher 0.9.1
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 18:52:13 +0800

Hi all,

I am testing Chinese accessibility of Ubuntu 20.04. I find that Chinese speech is not able to setup. This issue may exists since Ubuntu 19.10 (or even 19.04). But I have only tried in Ubuntu 20.04 daily build version.

When I run `spd-say 123` in command line, it says in English.

When I run `spd-say -lcmn 123`, it says in Chinese correctly.
(cmn is for Chinese Mandarin, pay attention that not to use zh-CN)

When I config Chinese Mandarin(cmn) as default language with spd-conf, it always keeps speaking English.

I also try to config German(de) as default language with spd-conf, it still says in English.

I try to manually edit DefaultLanguage in /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf and ~/.config/speech-dispatcher/modules/speechd.conf. It still says in English.

I try to setup default language of speech-dispatcher 0.8.8 in Ubuntu 18.04 with spd-conf, it works.

Where is the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Cameron