0.9 release?

From: Didier Spaier
Subject: 0.9 release?
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2018 22:11:40 +0100

On 02/11/2018 19:53, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Any last-minute thing to do before a 0.9 release?

Nothing that I can thing of that absoultely needs to be done before 0.9.

possibly after 0.9:
- Allow setting a synthesis voice in the user config using spd-conf. I could
  propose an implementation, occasion to learn a bit of Python. Caveat emptor:
  this would make the user config include more parameters than the system one
  as in my opinion this setting is not relevant system wide.
- Get rid of the symbolic voices. It should be enough to state the gender. Of
  course a transition should be provided, but just grep -i male or female in the
  client's command could be enough for now, the config files being just edited
  to keep only the gender M of F.
- As already suggested, make the variant independent of the voice name.
- Make sure that in no circumstance the client be not provided a symbolic voice.
  If at least one is installed, of course ;)
  Issues can happen for instance if a client or default setting (be it lang,
  gender, synthesizer or synthesis voice) can't be honored, possibly because
  there is no match, or there was one but some component (synthesizer or voice)
  has been removed since the setting has been done.
  Ideally the server should always propose a voice, even if it doesn't meet the
  requirements it receives, possibly with a warning.
  I realize that this would not be simple to implement, so should be discussed
  by whoever in concern (developers of speech-dispatcher but also of clients).

Best regards

Didier