[orca-list] Sluggishness in Orca

From: Didier Spaier
Subject: [orca-list] Sluggishness in Orca
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2018 12:24:13 +0100

Hi Joanie,

Speaking specifically about espeak-ng and the KLATT variants, the variant could
become an information distinct from the voice, presented by speech-dispatcher in
as specific field, with also its own field in Orca preferences Voice tab.

This could both decrease sluggishness and help users not navigate in a too long
list (although the sluggishness be way smaller using Chromevox in Chromium with
espeak-ng + variants)

But then, that would probably need a modification of the API and maybe of SSIP
itself, and I am not sure that this be worthwhile?

About SSIP, the more I think to it the less I find an usefulness of the standard
voices aka symbolic voices names output of the LIST VOICES command like e.g.
FEMALE2 for two reasons:
1. Many synthesizers do not offer more than one voice per language, and some
like espeak-ng more for some language that can be mapped one by one by the 3
voices per gender listed (as just examples?) by the SSIP.
2. I can hardly imagine an objective criterion to map a synthesis voice with a
symbolic voice, and I assume that the preferred voice for a given language +
synthesizer combination is largely subjective.

But I digress, sorry.

Best regards,

Didier