portaudio backend was Re: Pico module doesn't work with alsa

From: Chris Brannon
Subject: portaudio backend was Re: Pico module doesn't work with alsa
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 12:57:02 -0700

Luke Yelavich <luke.yelavich at canonical.com> writes:

> There is an alternative through the use
> of libao, however in my experience, using libao with either its alsa
> or pulse backends has some annoying latency.

Has anyone investigated the possibility of a portaudio backend?
I've found portaudio to be extremely reliable with espeak over the years.
In all honesty, the ideal situation would be one audio backend, say
portaudio, which could indirectly support all of the audio subsystems.
The main reason is code shrinkage.  I'm sure there's code in Speech
Dispatcher's audio libraries that has not been touched in years and
years.  Yes, nas.c and oss.c, I mean *you*!
Code that isn't there is code that doesn't have to be maintained.  Since
it isn't there, it is provably free of bugs!

-- Chris