system settings ui

From: Jeremy Whiting
Subject: system settings ui
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 09:38:04 -0600

Hello all,

In order to make it easier for those users running a plasma desktop
I'd like to create a kde control module to configure
speech-dispatcher. For that I have a couple of questions.

1. Should it modify the .conf files directly or use libspeechd with a
new api to modify the .conf files? If the former, what method should
it used to restart speechd or have it reload it's configuration kill
-sighup or some new method in libspeechd to restart the daemon?

2. Does it need to be able to modify a system wide configuration with
authorization and such or would it be adequate to modify just the
user's configuration (is system wide configuration widely used and
supported, if so I'll need/want to make the kcm able to read/write the
system wide configuration).

3. Are there any plans moving forward to move speech-dispatcher away
from .conf files for configuration? For example moving to GSettings or
something similar? I don't want to write a kcm that will only be
useful for a year before the underlying settings format changes on us
or something. Especially since distros are slow to adopt new packages,
so it wont get widespread use for at least 6 months or longer.

thanks,
Jeremy