Speech dispatcher 0.8 branch created in git.

From: Luke Yelavich
Subject: Speech dispatcher 0.8 branch created in git.
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 16:34:49 +1100

Hey folks.
Just letting you know what my plans are going forward with Speech Dispatcher
0.8 related development. I have created a branch in git speech-dispatcher-0-8,
and any bug fixes worth pulling into the 0.8 releases will be put in that
branch. All changes in that branch since 0.8.1 are cherry-picked from master.
Any further changes that are done in master will be considered as to whether
they are worthwhile for 0.8 on a case by case basis. As it is, I wasn't
thinking of doing a 0.8.2 release, but the change of the licenses of the API to
LGPL 2.1 warranted a release ASAP, so I took all relevant bugfixes and small
improvements to put into 0.8.2.

Normally there are pre-releases to get wider testing, but I strongly feel in
this instance that the changes are small and isolated enough that things should
be ok, its a few API additions plus translation improvements.

I am working on stuff that is 0.9 material, but I think there will be future
0.8 based releases when there are enough important bug fixes to warrant it.
Having said that, if new features are added to master that are useful/important
enough, they may go into a 0.8 release.

Another reason for continuing to put out 0.8 based releases is a recent change
in master that increases the glib requirement from 2.28 to 2.32. Granted most
distros are well past that these days, but it means that it will be possible to
put out releases of speech dispatcher that can still be used on distros from
circa 2012 that have longer term support, i.e Ubuntu 12.04 etc.

As well as the glib version change, there are other commits in master since
0.8.1 that are not in 0.8.2, notably the pitch range additions. So far as I am
aware, these have not been widely tested. I know I haven't tested them myself,
so I was reluctant to include that addition. Sufficient testing would see pitch
range functionality included in a future 0.8 release if demand warrants it.

Going forward, I'm thinking of doing a 0.8 based release every couple of
months, depending on commit activity, and depending on whether commits to
master should be released sooner rather than later. Of course if you think
something should be in a 0.8 release and its in master, please feel free to
speak up. I have no ETA on 0.9, but it will likely include functionality
changes that were points of discussion in the roadmap thread, and I don't want
releases of bug fixes to die off in the meantime.

Thanks once again to all who are helping out with development of Speech
Dispatcher.

Luke