Problem with auto-spawn

From: Jarek Czekalski
Subject: Problem with auto-spawn
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 08:58:51 +0100

Hi Julien

On Debian autospawn was working fine with speechd 0.7.1. Now I have
problems with the new version, 0.8, which in Debian is in experimental
ring. I wonder if speech-dispatcher project is active enough to accept
an upstream patch. I would like to make the failure message more
descriptive, because now it does not help much.

Now about your specific problem on Ubuntu. Try running "spd-say test"
command, which will test speech-dispatcher without third party software.
But in general reporting errors for an old version makes little sense.
If you want to run a fresh version, upgrade to trusty (14.04) [1] or
compile from source.

Jarek

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/speech-dispatcher