Two suggestions for speechd-el

From: Christopher Brannon
Subject: Two suggestions for speechd-el
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:07:27 -0500

Cleverson Casarin Uliana <clever92000 at yahoo.com.br> writes:

> My second suggestion is about porting speechd-el to MS
> Windows. Because it's completely written in Elisp, I think the only
> requirement for it to work under Windows is to write a driver for
> outputting speech to a Windows-based technology, such as Sapi

There's a thread about this topic in the archives.
Look here, for instance:
http://lists.freebsoft.org/pipermail/speechd/2008q3/001461.html
I'm not sure whether this guy got Speechd-el up and running on
Windows, but I think he may have.
I knew him from usenet; he was brilliant.  Unfortunately, he passed away
at age 23.
He tried several different approaches.
1. Run an SSIP server on Windows.  An implementation does exist for that
platform.
2. Run Speech Dispatcher on a Linux laptop, and tell the local
Speechd-el to communicate with the remote instance of Speech Dispatcher.
3. Run Speech Dispatcher under Linux, inside of a virtual machine.
Again, Speechd-el needs to communicate with a server on a different host.
Options 2 and 3 are going to be more difficult to experiment with
nowadays, because by default, Speech Dispatcher and Speechd-el use
Unix-domain sockets for communication, rather than TCP sockets.  I'm not
certain whether it is possible to make the current version of Speechd-el
use TCP; I haven't tried.

-- Chris