speechd-el "modularity"

From: Tomas Cerha
Subject: speechd-el "modularity"
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 10:07:45 +0200

Dne 8.8.2010 14:50, Pierre Lorenzon napsal(a):
> The gain is that instead of two connections in the chain (and 2
> servers, 2 clients) there is only one connection one server,
> one client and hence the system will be more reactive.

Hi Pierre,

I can't comment on speechd-el internals, but I suspect that the gain in
reactivity is
quite theoretical.  In practice, you will not get much speedup as the dominant
time
consumer in the chain is Festival itself.  In fact you will also loose the
speedup of
Speech Dispatcher's caching, so the results may not be worth the effort.

The direct Festival module would be quite simple at the beginning, but you will
probably
end up writing quite a lot of code if you want to comply fully for switching
voices,
languages and other "tiny" details.

I don't want to discourage you, these are just my two cents.

Best regards,

Tomas