Prerecorded sound snippets

From: Peter Grasch
Subject: Prerecorded sound snippets
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 21:24:06 +0200

Hello!

I am working on an application that needs speech output for some
texts that don't really change over time but may contain some dynamic
elements (like the current date or time).

Because the main user of this
application will be elder people we were thinking of using prerecorded sound
snippets because "computer voices" are likely to put them off. Of course we
still need a TTS system for the dynamic parts. Therefore, we'd need a
combination of pre-recorded snippets and TTS.

Something like this could
easily be done quite low level by using a user level unit selection process
during preprocessing of the input text.

Now the question: Does speech
dispatcher already support something like this or could it be added
easily?

Regards,
Peter
--