Maintaining speechd-up

From: Bill Cox
Subject: Maintaining speechd-up
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 06:48:30 -0700

Hi, Hynek.  Speakup is the most popular screen reader for Vinux by
far.  Emacspeak is the only solid alternative I've found, but most
users resist it due to the learning curve.  SBL and Jupiter are more
for Braille users, and don't work as well with speech as speakup.
Most blind Vinux users spend most of their time in the consoles,
because speech is more responsive, and speakup is more powerful than
Orca interacting with gnome-terminal.  It's also less likely to get
you stuck in some silent mode, and unlikely to silently crash.

Basically, if we want to properly support blind Linux users, we need
to support speakup.  Orca still has performance and usability problems
that need to be addressed before most blind users will be comfortable
leaving the consoles altogether.  We can work towards changing that
situation, but for now, it's reality.

In short, if we want actual users, speakup is a must.

Bill