[Opentts-dev] My analysis of things

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: [Opentts-dev] My analysis of things
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 13:23:12 -0700

In addition to how the opentts developers do, the Orca team uses
Bugzilla to track bugs and patches are accordingly attached to said
bugs.  After that, the review concept is similar, but less formal than
opentts developers' process.  I would hesitate to give too many people
update access to formal git without compromizing the integerity.  Not
that contributers are anything less but that way one can review
changes before going in.  Not sure if write access can be given to a
git repo for proposed branches but not master? I know less about git
than a lot of people out there.

My other thought concerns funding.  We just felt the impacts of Oracle
pulling financial support from gnome accessibility through the action
of eliminating Willy Walker's job at Sun.  In brief, Will headed up
the gnome accessibility office and accordingly, lead development of
Orca.  Since all that was done away with,, Joanmarie Diggs has assumed
the lead role for Orca development.  She is a volunteer; no funding
for her time.  I understand there has been some other financial
support making it into Orca's development in other areas but all and
all, Orca is now basically a volunteer supported project.  Fortunately
for all of us, that project has not really suffered as much as some
feared it would.  Government funding in this day of world-wide budget
cuts and massive debts, has got to be sketchy at best.  You may have
funding this year or next but after that, who knows? You can only take
it whenyou can and make the most of the money when it comes but be
able to carry on with it dries up.  So far, when funds dry up, speech
dispatcher has tended to suffer a lack of timely support.  A different
model is needed if speech dispatcher is to be a solid and viable
project with timely responses to changes in the world in which it
lives.