get current voice and volume APIs

From: Jeremy Whiting
Subject: get current voice and volume APIs
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:07:30 -0600

On Monday 24 August 2009 9:02:45 am Shen, Xiaohui wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Does speechd have APIs that allow me to get the current voice and
> volume? I couldn't find such APIs from the online document
> (http://cvs.freebsoft.org/doc/speechd/speech-dispatcher_14.html#SEC44).
> Thanks.
>

> X.S.

Xiaohui,

Unfortunately, no the speech-dispatcher api does not provide such
functionality.  There is a patch on the mailinglist I created to add the
ability to query the current module and voice (current volume would be easy to
add) and you are not the only person to ask for such a thing (this would help
greatly in my reworking of kttsd to use speech-dispatcher exclusively).  The
tts-provider api has such information querying in it, but the project to
implement tts-provider has not had much success yet. Luke Yelavich and myself
have discussed adding to speech-dispatcher's api to make it a tts-provider and
it would then have those methods needed.

Hope that helps, I think if nothing happens soon Luke will likely be asking
the folks at braillecom to take over or at a minimum give him write permission
to their git repo.

thanks,
Jeremy Whiting