Speech-dispatcher git repository created.

From: Luke Yelavich
Subject: Speech-dispatcher git repository created.
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:20:32 +1000

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 03:04:38AM EST, Nolan Darilek wrote:
> Hey, great!
>
> Any chance you might set up a git-daemon and use the git protocol rather
> than HTTP? The latter is incredibly slow and not terribly well suited to
> git. Maybe I missed the git:// URL on the gitweb view. If I did then my
> apologies.

I am not using a git:// URL and a git daemon because the repo is currently on a
shared hosting server. In terms of the speed of git, I've already tested with
several clones of the repo, and since speech-dispatcher as a repository is
rather small, and the objects have been packed, it is rather quick to check out
the repo with a good internet connection.

> Failing that, gitorious.org is actually pretty good these
> days and has shifted to a project-centric system, so you could create an
> SD project, assign its administration to a group and make anyone else
> members of that group so project ownership need not be in one set of
> hands. I'd be happy to set this up and promptly pass on group ownership
> should it be a matter of not having the time.

I considered this, however as I said, Brailcom are considering moving to git
from what I can tell, and if thats the case, then my repo will be temporary.
Git is also decentralized, which means everyone who wants to work on it can
host their branch whereever, and however they would like. Git has a great patch
handling system for those who want to send small patches, and has a great way
to send a pull request to the project authors to pull from a git repo with
several changes.

> Thanks again. Not a terribly competent C programmer myself, but I'll
> gladly follow head and start testing as soon as it's needed.

Ok thanks for the offer, that will be much appreciated.

Luke