Problems using -generic modules with Ubuntu 8.10

From: Garry Turkington
Subject: Problems using -generic modules with Ubuntu 8.10
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:37:34 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Fundamental rule of the universe -- one finds the problem just after
sending to a mailing list.  I had erm messed up a symlink so the say
binary wasn't being found by speech-dispatcher.  Sorry!

Now the software Dectalk is working but a minor issue - I get a small
click at the end of each utterance, is that to be expected?

Re the swift-generic module, as soon as I uncomment the addmodule line and
restart speech-dispatcher I get this the first time I try spd-say, even if
trying a different module:

client: Speech Dispatcher failed to say message: Bad file descriptor

Following this the message is connection refused.  There's nothing in the
swift-generic.log file but in speechd.log I'm told the swift-generic
module loaded successfully.

Any ideas?
Garry

--