Writing a driver for Finnish speaking synthesizer?

From: Petteri Heiskari
Subject: Writing a driver for Finnish speaking synthesizer?
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:46:28 +0300

Hi!

I noticed one "specification bug" in Speech Dispatcher docs. It states that
output module may not send notification replies like 701 EVENT BEGIN when
processing for example SPEAK-command.

However the output module cannot lock any mutex at right time. The exact
time should be _before_ Speech Dispatcher starts to send command, for
example line:

fprintf( client_stdin, "SPEAK\n" );

Since Speech Dispatcher and output modules are separate processes, there is
no simple way to synhronize this I guess.

The simple solution is: Speech Dispatcher should be able to process 7xx xxx
lines any time. It could be easily implemented inside Speech Dispatcher.
While sending commands to output module and reading replies from it, collect
all 700-replies to a buffer and process that buffer at Speech Dispatcher's
idle time.

I may be totally wrong here since I don't know the project too well. But
since this kind of synchronization issues are painful to track down I
thought I'll notice you...

(btw, I am now doing the old Speech Dispatcher interface to Mikropuhe)

Best regards, Petteri