progress on java bindings and some SSIP questions

From: Rui Batista
Subject: progress on java bindings and some SSIP questions
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:18:20 +0100

Hi all,

Due to some univercity stuff my implementation of java bindings for spd
is taking longer then I expected initially. But, here it is what I've
got so far:

1. The architecture I'm implementing is based on the python on: a
SSIPClient class with high level methods like setRate, setVolume, say,
etc...; a connection class responsible for undeline socket
comunications, command and response parsing, data escapping and low
level event processing; and some helper classes like command, response,
event, EventHandler (an interface for clients to implement), and a
couple of exceptions wich all subclasses of SSIPException (like the
python ones). I changed some names and terminology from the python
implementation to be more java like.... I'm in dobt of having just an
EventHandler interface to catch all events on the same method (and
clients would be responsible for dispatching events acording to event
type) or making an interface with 5 methods, on for each event type.
Maby will do the first option in the low level connection class and
provide some dispatching mechanism in SSIPClient... One other thing I'm
doing from the python implementation (and from the c one too) is on
target selection for setting parameters (SELF | ALL|id). I'm not
creating a set_rate_all nor passing a default argument with the self
target (java doens't support it...ok, at least I haven't find a way yet)
but I'm saving a current target attribute on SSIPClient, wich can be set
with setTarget, so subsequent paramenter setting will be to this target.
Obviously the default value is self. Any suggestions?

2. Almost all the things I mensioned above are implemented, the low
level connection is almost done (I found a bug when escapping data for
sending but I'm correcting it), basic SSIPClient methods are implemented
(say, stop, pause, cancel, resume, setVolume, setRate, setPitch, and
some others), and almost all I said is tested (I wrote some junit tests
for this porpose) and working (I hope!). For now it is lacking event
processing, voice/output module setting/getting history commands.... The
documentation (for now just javadoc strings) is in draft stage too.

Now I have a question about SSIP blocks: When sending data for speaking
inside a block, does we get a message id (and if yes what id) on each
message or just on the block's end? And if we just receive an id on the
block's end what to return to clients when they call for exampple the
say method inside a block?

And that's it....I'm sorry for my english...I guess it is
understandable, feel free if you don't understand something, I'll try to
be clearer.

Best regards,

--
Rui Batista
e-mail: ruiandrebatista (at) gmail (dot) com