espeak LOG : cannot hear speech-dispatcher output

From: Hemant Goyal
Subject: espeak LOG : cannot hear speech-dispatcher output
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 23:00:24 +0530

> There is something seriously wrong with speech-dispatcher on the XO.  I can
> start it up, get spd-say to work, but my Activity doesn't work worth crap.
> It works *great* under xubuntu, but on the actual XO it highlights the words
> without speaking them, and the highlight goes *much* too fast.  At some
> point the Activty just freezes up.  You have to reboot the machine to halt
> it, and spd-say stops working at that point, even if you stop and start
> speech-dispatcher.
>
> This *might* be an issue with the Activity not having enough permissions.
> I get messages saying
>
> libgnomevfs-WARNING ** Unable to create ~/.gnome2 directory.  Permission
> denied.
>
> Basically what I want you to do is to try Read Etexts for yourself on your
> XO and see if you can figure out what is wrong.  There are things a
> standalone Python program can do running in the terminal that an Activity
> cannot do at all.  It may well be that security is the problem.  If it is
> then TTS with highlighting is screwed until we figure something out.
>
> Thanks,
> James Simmons

Hi,

James is using speech-dispatcher on the OLPC laptop. I would just like to
ask in the speechd community what is the exact meaning of the following
espeak.log messages. (I get similar log messages for each speech synthesis
request - either from spd-say or James' Read Etexts activity.

   1. Tue Jul  8 17:25:20 2008 [29778] ALSA: Setting access type to
   INTERLEAVED
   2.  Tue Jul  8 17:25:20 2008 [30690] ALSA: Setting sample format to
   S16_LE
   3.  Tue Jul  8 17:25:20 2008 [31120] ALSA: Setting sample rate to 22050
   4.  Tue Jul  8 17:25:20 2008 [31778] ALSA: Setting channel count to 1
   5.  Tue Jul  8 17:25:20 2008 [32067] ALSA: Setting hardware parameters on
   the ALSA device
   6.  Tue Jul  8 17:25:20 2008 [32968] ALSA: cannot set parameters (File
   descriptor in bad state) state=SUSPENDED

We cannot hear any audio output during speech-synthesis on the OLPC laptops.
Any hints about the problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hemant