Speech Dispatcher 0.6.5rc1 (help with testing)

From: Jan Buchal
Subject: Speech Dispatcher 0.6.5rc1 (help with testing)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:32:15 +0100

    H> Hi, just downloaded and tested the rc1, and I got a lot of
    H> trouble: 1. SD refuses to create the proper pid file when the
    H> owner is set to speech-dispatcher. One has to chagne the owner to
    H> root (in the init.d startup script). 2. Having done this, I faced
    H> a big and unpleasant surprise: SD showed the espeak.log file on
    H> the screen and read it instead of the desired output. For
    H> example: Starting Speakup resulted in speaking the whole logfile
    H> instead of tracking the cursor and my actions on the screen.
It seams that you have log and pid directories under another rights.
Please check it.

    H> 3. Typing: aptitude reinstall speech-dispatcher didn't solve the
    H> problem, the missbehavior persisted. Solution: apt-get remove
    H> speech-dispatcerh --purge apt-get install speech-dispatcher and
    H> configuring the program from the beginning. I fear there's
    H> something terribly wrong with that version. I've tried it on my
    H> desktop computer with GRML in text mode. I don't want to test it
    H> on my notebook as long as there's no explanation for that strange
    H> behavior.

It is no problem by SD version but with you installation. If you had the
log
directory under root privileges then speech-dispatcher which runs under
speech-dispatcher user now can not write there so it write to console.
Maybe you had set bad path for logs and pid. Please check the changes
in speechd.conf regarding log and pid directories.

Best

--

Jan Buchal
Tel: (00420) 24 24 86 008