Speechd-el won't connect to brltty

From: Hermann
Subject: Speechd-el won't connect to brltty
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:38:44 +0100

Hi again,
and here comes the next problem:
This time it happens on my desktop machine, on which I've installed GRML
a Debian based distribution from Austria.
I use brltty 3.9, Emacs22 and the latest Speechd-el.
When I start Emacs with speechd-speak, I hear the message that no
connection to brltty can be established, because brltty doesn't answer.
I get suggested to disable the connection.
I installed Emacs and Speechd-el on my Notebook with Ubuntu Gutsy and
brltty 3.7.2, and I face no problems; braille and speech work. This
even works in the Gnome terminal.
What can be the reason for this?
BTW.: How can I adjust the startup of Emacs so that Speechd-el is
loaded? I'm not familiar with the programming of Emacs.
And why does Speechd-el not use SD's default settings? This happens on
both computers. I use German as default language, but Speechd-el always
starts with English. Adjusting emacs.conf in the modules directory
didn't change anything.
Hermann

--
I use grml (http://grml.org/)