An audio problem

From: Lars Bjørndal
Subject: An audio problem
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:38:26 +0100

Jan Buchal <buchal at brailcom.org> writes:

>     LB> Jan Buchal <buchal at brailcom.org> writes:
>     >>>>>>> "LB" == Lars Bj?rndal <lars.bjorndal at broadpark.no> writes:
>     >>
>     LB> Hi! If I as root start speech-dispatcher, then do an mplayer
>     LB> command to listen to an audio stream as a regular user, mplayer
>     LB> exits with:
>     >>
>     LB> [AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Permission denied
>     >>
>     LB> If I then, as root, start mplayer, it plays, and subsequent
>     LB> starts of the mplayer command as the first regular user again,
>     LB> it also works. Is that a known problem?
>     >> Which soundoutputmetod do you use in your speech-dispatcher
>     >> configuration. You have check all loaded modules, espeak, flite
>     >> or festival for example. For good result you need set to alsa and
>     >> restart the speech-dispatcher.
>
>     LB> All modules, e.g. espeak and espeak-generic were already set to
>     LB> "alsa", the default value.
>
> OK, you have probably one  channel sound card, right? Then it can be
> dmix problem. Maybe you have a .asoundrc in a home directory or in
> global path which can bring some problem. Try move it.

No, I do not have any .asoundrc files. Please note that I start
speech-dispatcher as root. I'm able to do mplayer <url> as root and
listen to the output. However, I'm not able to do mplayer <url> from a
local user, the local user does not have permission. The permission is
loosed after speech-dispatcher is started. I'm using speech-dispatcher
0.64.

Lars