How to handle sudden stops of speech-dispatcher with libspeechd?

From: Tomas Tintera
Subject: How to handle sudden stops of speech-dispatcher with libspeechd?
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 01:17:14 +0200

Hi,

if I open the connection to speech-dispatcher through spd_open() in
libspeechd.c and then speech-dispatcher stops (for any reason), and then
I try to say something with spd_say(), the program stops with error

[libspeechd.c:908]:Error: Can't read reply, broken socket

(Debian package libspeechd2 0.6.1-2)

Is it possible with libspeechd.c to handle such a situation and not to
end up with an error message if speech-dispatcher stops after the
connection is opened and before the text is to be send to it?

It would be useful if spd_say() returned -1 or something else in such
situations. (The possibility of checking whether I can use spd_say() at
the moment wouldn't be sufficient, because the situation may change
between the test and the actual call of spd_say.)

Thanks, Best regards,
Tomas "trosos" Tintera