solang-users

[Solang-users] reusing xzgv code?

From: Richard Zidlicky
Subject: [Solang-users] reusing xzgv code?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 22:22:54 +0100

Hi,

I was pleased to find solang-0.3.8 in Fedora-12 recently. It looks really nice
even though many details could use fine tuning yet.. I realise a later version
was released now.

I was wondering if you did consider to reuse the x/zgv code for jpeg decoding?
I still
have a copy of xzgv in use here and the performance difference to other jpeg
decoding
libs seems quite noticeable. Although I am not sure how much of it is really
jpeg
decoding it feels much faster.

$ time xzgv /home/richard/Photos/2009/12/20/PICT1142.JPG
user    0m0.526s
sys     0m0.056s

$ time eog /home/richard/Photos/2009/12/20/PICT1142.JPG
user    0m0.844s
sys     0m0.108s

The code is not neatly packed as library and the included EXIF code is broken
or obsolete
but otherwise I had a good impression of the code when I was hacking it for my
own
toys.

Richard