solang-users

[Solang-users] building solang 0.3 in Ubuntu 9.04

From: seb
Subject: [Solang-users] building solang 0.3 in Ubuntu 9.04
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 22:58:15 +0200 (CEST)

Hi list,

first I would like to thank the developers for their effort and time
spend on solang.

Since I read on
http://www.stefanoforenza.com/solang-is-a-new-photo-manager/ about
solang I wanted to give it a whirl. Why? well I'm on GNOME and currently
I use f-spot and IrfanView (via wine) to get some system into my photos.

By now there are 20000+ photos in my f-spot db and growing, so if there
is a software doing it better, easier, simpler why not try it.

So with some spare time I managed to build the latest solang-0.3 on my
Ubuntu 9.04 installation.
There are some packaging efforts for Ubuntu at
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/solang but currently they are still
stuck at 0.2...

I'm not a programmer or developer of any kind so it took me a while to
figure all the dependencies.

In case you ask, here they are:
        $ sudo apt-get install libbabl-0.0-0-dev libexiv2-dev
libflickcurl-dev
@libcurl3 @libflickcurl0 libgdamm3.0-dev libgda3-sqlite libgdl-1-dev
libglade2-dev libgegl-0.0-dev libgphoto2-2-dev libgtkimageview-dev
libgtkmm-2.4-dev libsoup2.4-dev libwebkit-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev

and of course you need:
        $ sudo apt-get install build-essential

then you can go and build solang-0.3 by:
        $ ./configure; sudo make; sudo make install

again I'm not sure about the sudo make, but sudo make install gave me
errors while writing to /usr/... somewhere.

If finished simply start by typing solang in a terminal

I started importing some photos (actually all :-/) right away but it
seems that this was not the best choice as it took over 6 or 7 hours to
load ~9000 pictures into the db.

Then my notebook went down... :-(

On the next start of solang some 9000 pics where loaded into the db and
sadly solang did not import the f-spot tags, that would be very nice.

I browsed the photos a bit but the navigating seemed sluggish and became
worse every time I started solang.

The next thing I realise was that solang somehow imported some of the
RAW files I had in the folders but could not create thumbnails or
something...
        ** (solang:24175): WARNING **: Failed to open file
'/home/xxx/.local/share/solang/thumbnails/108/2/22/P1000068.RAW-thumb.jpg':
No such file or directory

Solang created a configuration folder at /home/xxx/.config/solang but
the folder is empty, where is the DB stored?

By now there is not much happening anymore:
        $ solang
Implementation missing: database_constraints_update_list() in
gda-dict-database.c line 1214

(solang:23648): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_action_connect_proxy: assertion
`GTK_IS_ACTIVATABLE (proxy)' failed

(solang:23648): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_action_connect_proxy: assertion
`GTK_IS_ACTIVATABLE (proxy)' failed

** (solang:24175): WARNING **: Failed to open file
'/home/xxx/.local/share/solang/thumbnails/108/2/22/P1000068.RAW-thumb.jpg':
No such file or directory

Killed

I would like to start over with a smaller set of photos but I don't know
where and how to delete the DB.

I hope this is was encouraging for the devs and that it will help others
building solang.

Cheers,

seb