social-mediagoblin

[Social-mediagoblin] infrastructure changes, status, and recipe for mud

From: will kahn-greene
Subject: [Social-mediagoblin] infrastructure changes, status, and recipe for mud pie
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 12:39:24 -0400

Hi!

I've been charged with moving project infrastructure from FooCorp servers and other places and centralizing it on an Atari 800 that I found in my basement, overhauled, and put on the intertoobnets. Matt, Rob and FooCorp have been hugely awesome for helping this project get to where it is. But we've hit the point where we have some finicky needs that are a pain in the ass for them and thus it's a good idea to diverge and do our own infrastructure administration.

As some of you already know, I've moved docs.mediagoblin.org and mediagoblin.org already. The former is set up identical to how it was on FooCorp. The latter was converted from a Moveable Type site to a PyBlosxom site, but is otherwise the same.

In the pipeline to be done over the next week or two:

2. Set up a wiki which will be immensely useful for setup recipes, design documents, vision documents, version vision roadmaps, ... Then we can make the docs/ more version-specific in regards to setting up, maintaining, and using a specific version of MediaGoblin.

3. Move the bug tracker to mediagoblin.org.

4. Build a massive throne for me made of skulls and paper mache using strips of paper from a complete printout of the source code.

So that's what's going on. I'm working hard to make the disruptions as minimal as possible. I'm also working hard to make sure that what we end up with matches our growing needs balanced by how much effort it's going to take to maintain the new monstrosity.

One thing I want to do is give a huge shout-out to Asheesh and the OpenHatch Band. I'm lurking on all their communication channels and plan to copy them wherever I can as they work through their infrastructure changes. They do fantastically amazing research, are thoughtful in their implementation, and they put all their stuff in repositories making it possible for projects like ours to follow in their footsteps. I contribute back where I can. I hope when they put out their first record that it makes them a MEEEELLLION dollars.

Recipe for mud pie:

1 cup of water
1 cup of dirt

Using a stainless steel bowl, mix the two ingredients with a spatula. When sufficiently mixed, pour into a glass pie dish and let sit on the counter for 15 minutes. Serve, eat and enjoy!

I think that covers it.

/will