social-mediagoblin

[Social-mediagoblin] State of the Goblin: May 16, 2011

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: [Social-mediagoblin] State of the Goblin: May 16, 2011
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 08:20:39 -0500

I thought I'd make a quick post since it seems like there's been a lot
of activity over the last week, but not a lot on the list.

So for a project that announced two weeks ago, and whose primary coding
founders were both largely "gone" last week (I was at Libre Graphics
Meeting, Will Kahn-Greene is working hard on the Miro 4.0 launch), we
have had an *amazing* amount of activity happening already.  This is
almost entirely due to the fact that we got a great amount of early
contributors on board.

So first of all, thanks to our new contributors who have gotten commits
in already:

On code:
 - Joar Wandborg
 - Sebastian Spaeth
 - Aaron Williamson

On graphic design:
 - Jef van Schendel

On documentation:
 - Daniel Neel

Thanks to all of you for getting involved and helping realize the dreams
of GNU MediaGoblin. :)  There are more people besides these helping us
(eg Juan Josรฉ Gonzรกlez has been giving us useful MongoDB advice and has
a ticket assigned to him but which isn't merged yet).  I'll try and
thank new contributors as they land contributions more in the future.
If I forget people, email me privately to let me know!

So what you really probably want to know is, how are things *working*?
Well, you can partly see for yourself here, as Sebastian Spaeth has put
up a public instance here:

http://foo.sspaeth.de/

However you can't register because GNU MediaGoblin's email registration
is er, not very flexible and you need either to send out email via a
local mail server or it spits it to stdout (for debugging).  Sebastian
says "use guest/guestguest as credentials if you want to login and don't
upload too much please if you want to test"

Over the last two weeks we've gotten this amount of activity done:
 - image uploading and processing
 - celery integration
 - the start of a nice looking theme
 - plenty more planning on mockups, style guides, etc, by jef so that
   our theme will look awesome and do so consistently
 - media gallery on the frontpage
 - user profile pages
 - individual media pages
 - user email verification
 - lots of docs stuff
 - the start of translation infrastructure
 - ./bin/gmg shell for debugging
 - slug generation so media entries can have nicer looking URLs

That's a lot done, far more than I expected at this point, so I think
it's okay for us to pat ourselves on the back a little git!  But if we
want to meet our fall public alpha goals we also need to keep our
momentum going and meet

Want to help?  There's plenty to do, and if you're willing to join in
we'd love to see you do so.

 - Join #mediagoblin on irc.freenode.net,
 - Try to get a local instance running:
   http://docs.mediagoblin.org/hackinghowto.html
 - claim tickets in the issue tracker and start working on them (don't
   be afraid to ask for direction, either!)
   http://bugs.foocorp.net/projects/mediagoblin/issues

Thanks!
 - Chris

--
๐“’๐“ฑ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฝ๐“ธ๐“น๐“ฑ๐“ฎ๐“ป ๐“๐“ต๐“ต๐“ช๐“ท ๐“ฆ๐“ฎ๐“ซ๐“ซ๐“ฎ๐“ป