social-mediagoblin

Re: [Social-mediagoblin] Fwd: Re: Templates, CSS, Images, JS, licensing

From: Brett Smith
Subject: Re: [Social-mediagoblin] Fwd: Re: Templates, CSS, Images, JS, licensing
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 15:56:07 -0400

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 10:27:18PM -0500, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> There's nothing really complex in there yet since I've been working at a
> mainly lower layer.
>
> This is the most complex thing we have so far, and it's just a macro for
> cleanly rendering forms lazily:
>
> https://gitorious.org/mediagoblin/mediagoblin/blobs/master/mediagoblin/templates/mediagoblin/utils/wtforms.html
>
> ... but in the future we'll be calling methods like they're python
> objects.  As an example, you'd probably have something like:
>
>   {% for file in media_entry.attachments() %}
>       {{file.name }}</a>
>   {% endfor %}
>
> This is a pretty simple example but clearly there's a python call going
> on with get_url.

Hmm.  So, this is really tricky, because when the templates are this
powerful, if you just grant them a blanket exception, you run the risk
of making a loophole in your license.  Anybody who wants to make
changes to Mediagoblin without sharing them may be able to do so by
writing the functionality in a separate Python file, and then calling
it from the templates as appropriate.  Whether or not they succeed may
depend on relatively detailed criteria like exactly what data was
passed from Mediagoblin to the template and on to the new code.  But
declaring the templates to be a separate work at least gives them an
opening to try to work with.

How realistic do you think it is that some unscrupulous developer
might try this?

--
Brett Smith