social-mediagoblin

[Social-mediagoblin] greetings. i'm the self-appointed emperor of docume

From: will kahn-greene
Subject: [Social-mediagoblin] greetings. i'm the self-appointed emperor of documentation.
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 21:03:44 -0400

Hi!  My name is Will.  I'll be the self-appointed Emperor of
Documentation for the next month or until someone unseats me through a
3/4 majority vote.

Why did I appoint myself as thus?

1. I think it helps for a single person to bootstrap the documentation
efforts.

2. This person can't be Chris because he's got other things on his plate.

3. I've done a lot of documentation and learned a lot of things.  I've
worked with Chris on a bunch of projects.  I am *passionate* about Media
Goblin.  Therefore, I think I'm a good candidate for getting something
good enough going that works for all of us, that gets this project
bootstrapped, and doesn't cause us to trip and fall over ourselves, skin
our collective knees and bleed all over the concrete.  That's gross.

I consider my job to be this:

1. plan and coordinate infrastructure for documentation

2. identify things that need to be documented

3. facilitate the writing of said documentation whether that's by myself
or someone else

4. take tasks that Chris passes me and make them happen

I consider the duration for this self-appointment to be for the next
month.  When Chris does his Media Goblin announcement, then we can
figure out whether I should get demoted and never take public office again.

Things I want to tackle go like this:

1. find out what Rob and Matt have done already in regards to a basic
project page and help them finish it up and/or take over and finish it
up and/or take over and pass it off to someone else to finish it up

2. write up a loose schedule for the project that covers the next month
or so and goes on the web-site that we can point people to

3. work with Asheesh, Matt and Rob to figure out what interested people
can do today and write up a "how you can contribute" document

4. take what Chris has written in READMEish, convert it to a Sphinx
documentation project, put it in a docs/ directory, and start fleshing
it out with stubs for things that are missing

5. follow Chris' checkins and reflect them in the documentation

6. Chris sent me his super secret org-mode file.  I will either convert
the todo items to bugs in redmine or get someone else to help me.

Things I will definitely need help with:

1. figuring out a decent look and feel for the website if it hasn't been
done already

2. reflecting that look and feel in the documentation for the HTML target

3. figuring out what people can do now that aids Chris without
distracting him.  That might mean we tell people, "come back in a
month!"  I don't know, yet.

My next step is to convert this email into todo items in redmine.  My
next next step is to talk with Matt and Rob to understand the web-site
situation.  My next next next step is to generate Sphinx project files,
create the docs/ directory, and start working on those bits.

Thus is my big documentation bootstrapping plan!

/will