smc-devel

[smc-devel] Poedit - po file translation tool - getting it working

From: Guntupalli Karunakar
Subject: [smc-devel] Poedit - po file translation tool - getting it working
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 20:06:16 +0530

Hi,
 Poedit (http://poedit.sourceforge.net) is a tool for translating po
files. Poedit is based on wxWindows  (http://www.wxwindows.org)
toolkit. There are versions for Linux & windows. The stable versions
of poedit for linux use wxWindows 2.4 or below, which uses Gtk1.2.
CVS versions of poedit & wxwindows have Gtk2.0 support. Effectively
meaning Indic po translations can be done in poedit. Though
gtranslator is there, its too buggy & unstable. Kbabel is good but not
effective since KDE doesnt have full indic support (This is going to
change soon :-).
 So For time being Poedit is a good bet. Follow the steps below to get
it working.

To get POedit working, you need cvs sources of Poedit and wxWindowss .

Poedit:
I have put up a cvs copy of yesterday (21 Feb) at
http://www.indlinux.org/downloads/poedit.tar.gz
or do a cvs check out
$ cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/poedit login
$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/poedit co
poedit

wxWindows
Download wxWindows cvs version
http://www.wxwindows.org/cvs.htm
For anonymous login (read-only), use anoncvs for the login and anoncvs
for the password.
        cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/pack/cvsroots/wxwindows
login
        cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/pack/cvsroots/wxwindows
checkout wxWindows
or download one of
http://wxwindows.sourceforge.net/snapshots/wx-cvs-20030220.tar.bz2
http://wxwindows.sourceforge.net/snapshots/wx-cvs-20030220.tar.gz

(You will find wx-cvs-20030221.tar.* also , but I have not tried it
yet
wx-cvs-20030220.tar.gz is also available at
http://www.indlinux.org/downloads/wx-cvs-20030220.tar.bz2 or .gz)

Now assuming that you already have Gtk2.0 set up ( RH 7.3 & RH 8.0 ,
Mandrake 9.0 have it on their CDs usually installed by default ). If
you dont have Gtk2.0 set up follow up at http://www.gtk.org on how to
do it. Or best get rpms from rpmfind.net ( You will need pkgconfig,
glib, glib-devel, pango, pango-devel, atk, atk-devel, gtk2, gtk2-devel
 packages )

First build wxWindows

$ tar jxvf wx-cvs-20030221.tar.bz2
$ cd wxWindows-20030221
$ ./autogen.sh
$ ./configure --enable-gtk2 --enable-unicode
$ make
# make install

Then build Poedit

$ cd poedit
$ ./autogen.sh
(At least on RH7.3 with Gtk2 / GNome 2 built I didnt get any errors )
$ ./configure
$ make
# make install

This should set it all ( if there are no errors ).

In case you get errors showing 'PKG_CONFIG' then set the following
 # export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig

You may also need to set LD_LIBRARY_CONFIG ( if u get a error of that
)
 # export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib:/lib:/var/lib:
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Run poedit
$ poedit &

More on poedit features and how to use it in next post. Or look for
docs for poedit at http://poedit.sourceforge.net

Regards,
Karunakar

--
Hating people is like burning down your house to get rid of a rat -
Anon

* Indian Linux project    *
* http://www.indlinux.org *