smc-devel

Re: [smc-devel] Re: [Indic-computing-standards] Re: Malayalam Half-U: ho

From: Baiju M
Subject: Re: [smc-devel] Re: [Indic-computing-standards] Re: Malayalam Half-U: how
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:26:27 +0400 (SCT)

Dr. U.B Pavanaja wrote :

>>From these discussions I can infer one thing: We need a
> mechanism of choosing one of the many possible display forms for
> a particular combination.
>
> We are having a similar requirement for Kannada for the case of
> "arkavattu" (reph) and "half ra". Both forms of display are
> possible and both are correct. I had mentioned this to the
> people responsible for OpenType specifications of Indic scripts.
> Currently they don't have any plans to do this changes.

Who? Microsoft?
Dont depend upon such propriatery software companies.
Come to free softwares, and do it yourself in Pango,Yudit,Qt etc.

A similar problem may arise for Malayalam also, but I didnt decided
what to do with that yet (We have to consider inter operatibility also).
the problem is with RA/RRA and LA/LLA symbols , these pairs
are using same symbols but for specific consonats. I think Microsofts
approach here is against standards. Anyway we have to dicuss what to
do with this.

Regards,
Baiju M