smc-devel

Re: [smc-devel] Malayalam Font doubts.

From: Mahesh T Pai
Subject: Re: [smc-devel] Malayalam Font doubts.
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 02:32:14 +0530

Baiju M wrote:

BTW, I started working on a new typeface for Malayalam

Baiju, I hope you will pay due attention to non-printing characters. I am not joking - I find it irritating to find ugly things staring at me when viewing someting in a word processor with the view option set to display non-printing characters.

Malayalam.ttf has this very serious problem.

On the other end, I have a font called "sanskrit zapf chancery", from a site (can't recall the URL) run by somebody related with the ISKON (Int'l society for Krishna Conciousness) which has beautiful non-printing characters - spaces are rendered as lotuses etc.

Also, do not forget the special characters, like the opening and closing double quotes, © and ® html characters, etc.

And how about adding English characters? This will help in rendering bi-lingual pages without having to specify different fonts for English. Keli has this serious draw back.

( hoo boy!! did I ask for too much?? )

Regards,
Mahesh T Pai.