sks-devel

sks.infcs.de take down // Re: keyserver.insect.com GDRP takedown request

From: Steffen Kaiser
Subject: sks.infcs.de take down // Re: keyserver.insect.com GDRP takedown request
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 17:06:15 +0200

On 26.05.22 22:53, Jason John Schwarz via SKS development and deployment
list wrote:

Hi everybody,

> We have received the same take down request from Mr. Puerto as several other
> keyservers under GDRP.
> As we are running keyserver.insect.com as a free service we can not afford to
> deal with legal costs on this
> request, and therefore are shutting down keyserver.insect.com effective today.

I git the removable request as well. Therefore I stopped my SKS servers
and removed the mentioned keys. The servers stay out of the pool or will
be deleted in some weeks, if I cannot handle the issue by removing the
keys and keep them out of my server space. No matter if/what/how a legal
case would end.

I didn't followed the thread right now, but if somebody has a hacked
hockeypuck server (I do not know go at all), which does not download
blacklisted keys, please send a link. Otherwise it will take some time
to read through.

If there is no solution for keeping blacklisted keys out of the server
space, I will not bring any server back into the pool.

The main problem on my site is, that most people use Thunderbird
nowadays and switched to https://keys.openpgp.org/about/usage . This
does not make me happy, because we have some scenarios, in which we do
not want to make external connections each time and/or use a local key
server for local only keys, which are merged with the pool locally.

Kind regards,

--
Steffen